On Tuesday we spent the day at the Cité de l’Espace. The visit was an exciting ‘exit point’ to our IPC topic, Day and Night. It also fitted neatly with ‘People in History’ that is happening this week. Y2 are learning about Neil Armstrong and Yuri Gagarin and the roles they played in the space race.
One highlight of the trip was role-playing working as astronauts on important missions using the play equipment at Le Parc des Petits Astronauts. We liked the dramatic experience of seeing 3D film all about the Hubble telescope.
We also were excited to do some experimenting with water rockets to work out ways to make them fly higher.
There was a big model of the solar system which we used to compare the different sizes and characteristics of the planets. We got up close to satellites, rockets and actually inside the replica of the Mir Space Station! We noticed lots of interesting things and asked loads of questions.
Everyone had and great day in the sun at the Cité de l’Espace. Enjoy the photos.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Friday, October 5, 2012
· 4 tbsp olive oil
· 2 onions , finely chopped
· 1 clove of garlic
· 1kg pumpkin or squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
· 700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
· 100ml cream
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook the onions for 5 minutes, until soft but not brown.
2. Add the pumpkin to the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften.
3. Pour the vegetable stock into the pan, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is very soft.
5. Pour the cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée with a hand blender.